Due to lack of use the forum is now read only. Please post questions etc in our facebook group at https://www.facebook.com/groups/128453854681/

Gadget

BFPCR committee members only
All committee business in here. Please move topics found in other areas if needed to here for committee to discuss
AlanGoodman
Site Admin
Site Admin
Team: Apollo Racing

Re: Gadget

Post by AlanGoodman » Tue Jan 05, 2016 9:07 am

Seconded!!

If we don't do something about this soon a) we will miss a great opportunity and b) it will look like we are throwing Moe's generous offer back in her face.

dralphs
Site Admin
Site Admin
Team: Falcon Notnray

Post by dralphs » Tue Jan 05, 2016 4:02 pm

Sounds good to me provided we can sort out.

Storage - ideally somewhere central with light & power
Transport - up to hirer to arrange either they do it themselves or possibly pay one of us to transport to race
Prep - could be on rotation between some committe members

Hire fee - ideally should be set to cover cost of building new car after 5 years + cost of consumables (tyres, chains, lights etc) and some repairs.

Insurance - we ought to have them insured against theft etc but hirer to be responsible for any damage whilst they are using unless that part is included in hire fee.

ideally this is where we probably need a quartermaster role, to look after these kits cars but also the timing kit and other items. All could be stored in same location or locations (north and south or similar)

Maybe the money could be used to buy the kits and also pay rent for storage somewhere for 5 years.

Perhaps we should look at what canoe hire or bike hire costs are as we should be looking at a similar setup to that.

Another suggestion to help new teams is possibly to hold a stock of certain essential parts that either aren't easy to make if you don't have a lathe or that are prohibitive in cost if sourced in small quantities. I'm thinking of rear hubs, 1wd and 2wd freehubs, drive bushes/disk carriers etc (even if they only have pilot holes and need further simple machineing), seat mould?

Most other parts are available off the shelf or are standard bike parts or are simple to make.
Dave
Falcon Notnray Racing
www.yarntonscouts.org.uk

Jes@GCRE
Pedalcar racer
Pedalcar racer

Post by Jes@GCRE » Tue Jan 05, 2016 5:03 pm

To kick a number in, I have to charge £60 for a single day or £100 for a weekend to cover costs (as set of tyres comes in at £50 for a start).
If a car costs, say £1000 split over (effectively) 40 races, counting Shenington as 2, that gives us £85 for 1 day or £150 for a weekend.
Which is fine, except for our experience at Blackbushe where we were told we were too expensive at the current rate...

I think your idea is very good, Dave. If we can find out what it costs to hire 6 mountain bikes from a scout activity centre for the weekend that would at least give us a good starting point for what a scout group might be expecting to pay to have a car for Shenington.

Gary Holly
Licenced Driver
Licenced Driver

Post by Gary Holly » Tue Jan 05, 2016 6:08 pm

This is a massive gesture from Moe and Gary's family one that will be well received by all. We all mention getting new teams on the grid even more so younger ones. What a fitting tribute to such a Kind and Well a Respected fellow Racer.
Our young Team were in excited when then attended the AGM at Force India arranged by Gary and will he will be forever in our Thoughts as this visit is what Dreams are made of especially for all who attended.
They cherish the pictures they took and have been the envy of many Formula 1 fans since.

Thank you Moe for thinking of us all.

Regards

Gary

Team 105 Racing

dralphs
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by dralphs » Tue Jan 05, 2016 6:14 pm

Taken from Youlbury SAC page http://www.scoutactivitycentres.org.uk/ ... s-2016.pdf
Pedal Go-Karts £35 per session which is 90 minutes long so £140 per day

None of the Official SAC sites do bike hire but pedalbikeaway in forest of dean http://www.pedalabikeaway.co.uk/mountainbikes.html is £25 per day for basic mtb or £50 for a premium full suspension model.

Do we split out the consumables part from the hire charge and charge tyres separately?
Dave
Falcon Notnray Racing
www.yarntonscouts.org.uk

AlanGoodman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by AlanGoodman » Tue Jan 05, 2016 8:56 pm

I think it would be sensible to ask for a deposit... I'm sure most people would be sensible but there will always be some who really don't care about the cars (see what some people do with hired vans!).

AlanGoodman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by AlanGoodman » Wed Jan 06, 2016 11:34 am

I think we really need to start moving these committee discussions along - If there are no negative comments on here by tonight I suggest we contact Graham and get the ball rolling on this.
Jes: Would you like to contact Graham or shall I?

dralphs
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by dralphs » Wed Jan 06, 2016 11:46 am

agreed although would have liked more input from whole committee
Dave
Falcon Notnray Racing
www.yarntonscouts.org.uk

AlanGoodman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by AlanGoodman » Wed Jan 06, 2016 11:48 am

Me too, but this thread was started last April so everybody has had plenty of time...

Jes@GCRE
Pedalcar racer
Pedalcar racer

Post by Jes@GCRE » Wed Jan 06, 2016 1:33 pm

I sent an email to Graham yesterday.

Gary Holly
Licenced Driver
Licenced Driver

Post by Gary Holly » Wed Jan 06, 2016 6:15 pm

Committee members

As I have not long since been made accessible to this part of the forum I was not aware of the wishes of Gary's Family until I had the first message within the last couple of days.
It's a great idea and would assist if there is anything I can do.

Regards

Gary

Team 105

Jes@GCRE
Pedalcar racer
Pedalcar racer

Post by Jes@GCRE » Fri Jan 08, 2016 6:11 pm

I have heard from Graham who says:

"...I would be happy to sort out a couple of cars for the federation, and would also be happy to store and maintain them.

The only thing I could not commit too would be the transportation to and from each race. I have a wooden frame that the car goes on so that it can be attached to a standard roof rack, it will also fit in the back of an estate car. Prospective teams could collect the car a week before the race and return it after."

J

AlanGoodman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by AlanGoodman » Fri Jan 08, 2016 7:32 pm

Ace!!

dralphs
Site Admin
Site Admin