Due to lack of use the forum is now read only. Please post questions etc in our facebook group at https://www.facebook.com/groups/128453854681/

Gloucester Business Games

BFPCR committee members only
All committee business in here. Please move topics found in other areas if needed to here for committee to discuss
Jes@GCRE
Pedalcar racer
Pedalcar racer

Gloucester Business Games

Post by Jes@GCRE » Mon Oct 17, 2016 10:36 am

OK, so please read and digest this without any flying off the handle or knee-* sending of e-mails!

Received from Rob Harris:

Hi Jes

It looks like you had a good season.

I emailed you on August 28th to let you know how I had been invited to stage a pedal car race at the Gloucestershire Business Show next May at Cheltenham Racecourse. This also extends to the South Gloucestershire Business Show at Bristol-Bath Science Park in October.

As I asked in August: am I correct in recollecting that you or one of the teams (Wing?) are producing chassis kits for would-be racers? Our objective at these Games is very much to encourage the design/construct element, but also wishing to embrace white-collar/professionals who might not have the skills or workshop access. Secondhand cars would I am sure find buyers!

I attach our promotional document where you can see that we recommend how cars built to your spec will mean teams being eligible to enter BPCC races.

In the fullness of time I hope that this leads to me being able to gain enough support to stage the Bristol race.

Looking forward to hearing from you.

Best wishes

Rob

Rob Harris
Bristol 24-Hour Pedal Car Race Ltd
07939 042361
www.bristol24race.co.uk
@PedalcarRob

dralphs
Site Admin
Site Admin
Team: Falcon Notnray

Re: Gloucester Business Games

Post by dralphs » Mon Oct 17, 2016 11:31 am

Given past history etc i feel this needs to be raised as an AGM item, discussed at the AGM and go from there.

Would be nice to have been asked first if we wanted to be involved and are able to assist and what help he needs (eg lap counting kit, cars).

I do wonder how much flak we would get if we don't help given we are mentioned several times.

I for one won't be entering a team at £1500. For that money i would say to teams we'll build you a car and come and race for a whole season.
Dave
Falcon Notnray Racing
www.yarntonscouts.org.uk

Jes@GCRE
Pedalcar racer
Pedalcar racer

Post by Jes@GCRE » Mon Oct 17, 2016 11:51 am

My thoughts exactly.
I don't think we are eligible to race anyway as this is aimed solely at businesses.

I am put out that BFPCR is splashed quite so liberally over it.

Also interested to see what Steph and Cliff think of whatever he has called Ringwood ("The Street Grand Prix" or something?).

On the other hand, if some of those teams realise they can race a whole season for less than that it's not a bad thing they have eligible cars. However, experience suggests that corporate teams such as Doughy and Delphi tend to put more obstacles in the way of getting their cars out racing than others.

dralphs
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by dralphs » Mon Oct 17, 2016 12:29 pm

i wonder if before the AGM we need to ask what price he would charge a BFPCR or Ringwood team to race going on the assumption that we won't enter at £1500+ and its going to be a very poor event without any of us there, and does he expect to hire our lapcount kit.

Even then at a reduced cost i'm not sure how many of us would go there in the middle of exams and a week before half term camps etc.
Dave
Falcon Notnray Racing
www.yarntonscouts.org.uk

Jes@GCRE
Pedalcar racer
Pedalcar racer

Post by Jes@GCRE » Mon Oct 17, 2016 1:04 pm

Phil has just pointed out to me via text that 17th - 18th May is a Wednesday and Thursday...

AlanGoodman
Site Admin
Site Admin
Team: Apollo Racing

Post by AlanGoodman » Mon Oct 17, 2016 2:10 pm

I don't think BFPCR should be involved in this in any way and he should remove the misleading wording from his publicity material that currently makes it sound like a non-championship BFPCR event.
Needs to be absolutely clear that our insurance doesn't cover this event.

When he inevitably cancels after finding that people won't pay £1500 to race a pedal car we want to be as far from the fallout as possible.

His objective is to make money. Ours is to race pedal cars. If those two things went well together we wouldn't be struggling financially at the moment...

dralphs
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by dralphs » Mon Oct 17, 2016 2:29 pm

I hadn't even checked the date, i just assumed it was a weekend. Have just checked and its not half term for Gloucestershire either as they are same as ours, last week of May. Have checked on the website and the date is correct 17/18 May

Well in that case we can rule out the majority of our teams from attending since we will be at work/school/college.

And as far as i'm concerned for me to be there (and i'm sure Phil & Alan are similar) to take the lapcount system (never mind to run it) it would be two days annual leave for which he can pay me my normal hourly rate + mileage.
Dave
Falcon Notnray Racing
www.yarntonscouts.org.uk

Jes@GCRE
Pedalcar racer
Pedalcar racer

Post by Jes@GCRE » Mon Oct 17, 2016 2:36 pm

I don't think it is intended for any "existing" teams at all but as a competition between local businesses.

However, if you can point me in the direction of any business in the Gloucester / South Warwickshire area that can afford to lose 20 man-days to send a pedal car team racing during the week then please point me in their direction and I will brush up my CV.

However, someone must actually be paying him to do this?!?

dralphs
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by dralphs » Mon Oct 17, 2016 7:04 pm

I Think we may need an urgent response. I don't like the way this is going.

For those that have Linkedin

https://www.linkedin.com/in/countybusinessshows

for everyone else
Thank you to everyone involved in delivering The Gloucestershire Business Show 2016. with c.3,000 footfall and a really busy couple of days, the feedback from exhibitors, Sponsors and Partners has been great.

As ever there are things we're working on improving and developing for 2017 and there have been some great ideas that are coming from those around us which we're just beginning to put together now to create the first 2017 plans.

Have a look at the documents attached here, it will give some general information for GBS 2017 and the first set of ground plans.

Exhibition space is selling well and with a number of established Sponsors and Partners now, we have some great ongoing dialogue that will shape the 2017 event and is already starting to see some strong programming developing - more of that in coming months.

For 2017, we're pleased to be introducing The Gloucestershire Business Games. In its first year, the Games will sit beside the Business Show for the two days and will comprise a pedal car race championship to British Federation of Pedal Car racing specifications.

Corporate teams will be invited to join us and race vehicles that they have either built from scratch, or worked with another business to build. There will be endurance and sprint races and additional prizes for Style and Innovative Engineering.

Download our Gloucestershire Business games information document below to learn more.

Do follow all the developments as they come, stay in touch and if you'd like to get involved - or even just know more about our plans and when you can meet the team and have you say, then contact us via:

http://www.gloucestershire-business-show.co.uk

or email us:

directors@business-shows.co.uk

Pete Allison
Director
The Gloucestershire Business Show
and in the documents on that listing
160920-the-gloucestershire-business-show-2017-10-1024.jpg
along with the full version of the pdf Jes attached

Its also on facebook https://www.facebook.com/BizShowGlos/

Interestingly the 2015 and probably 2016 gloucester business games was cancelled due to lack of interest acording to their facebook.

So in essence the main event is already being publicised (and presumably will attract a lot of interest) so the pedalcar race by default will rightly or wrongly get noticed.

I don't like how its all been done without seeking our permission and a proper discussion of what if any involvement is expected of us.

Its a great shame that it seems to all have been set up like this as if done correctly it could be good publicity especially if it gets a few new cars and teams, but like Jes, i can't see businesses throwing £1500 about on a whim unless they have an engineering background and maybe apprentices to whom it could be a project.

And finally, given its a working weekday you won't get many of us turning up to provide hire cars or teams, unless we get adequately reimbursed for our time and effort.

I think its probably time for Bob as secretary (probably with Cliff as Ringwood Chair) to make contact with Rob Harris & Pete Allison and ask exactly what is going on and what they think we are providing (not a lot) and if necessary ask for all references to BFPCR etc to be removed from their literature.

Its a shame to go down that route (as it could be good publicity) but i don't see any other option at present
Dave
Falcon Notnray Racing
www.yarntonscouts.org.uk

AlanGoodman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by AlanGoodman » Mon Oct 17, 2016 7:50 pm

I agree.
All references (and photographs) should be removed immediately.

The race will go the same way as everything else he is involved with.
When he realises (again) that people won't pay £1500 he'll try to scale it down to avoid losing face and giving refunds and then when that doesn't work he'll pull the plug at the last minute leaving yet another load of people with the impression that pedal car racing is a joke...

AlanGoodman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by AlanGoodman » Mon Oct 17, 2016 8:07 pm

I've just posted on their Facebook page to say we are not involved in any way.

Frankly Rob saying he has been working closely with us to develop races is taking the *.

dralphs
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by dralphs » Mon Oct 17, 2016 8:26 pm

I've just emailed Bob in case he hasn't seen this on the forum (and cc'd Mark, Alan, Jes) so he can take a look, have it on the agm agenda and compose a letter.
Dave
Falcon Notnray Racing
www.yarntonscouts.org.uk

AlanGoodman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by AlanGoodman » Mon Oct 17, 2016 8:28 pm

I've just replied - This can't wait until the AGM in my opinion.

Jes@GCRE
Pedalcar racer
Pedalcar racer

Post by Jes@GCRE » Wed Oct 19, 2016 10:30 am

Now we know more about this, it does seem to ring a lot of bells from the 2 Bristol farces.

Rob still claims UWE "pulled the plug with less than 3 days to go" - personally I think he failed to hire the car park.
He has now also admitted that he was entirely on his own and had no support at all so I do wonder what the plan was had there been an incident or whether he even had 1st aid arranged.

He seems to have very little grasp of the basics required to put on an event: circuit, insurance, 1st aid and someone in charge (and then everything else is window dressing).

What I don't understand - if the "business games" are simply part of a bigger event and therefore presumably in 1 of the car parks at Cheltenham Racecourse, which one would assume is already hired as part of their rental, is how the £1500 entry fee was arrived at. Unless it's a miss-type because £150 seems sensible to put on a 2 day race if you are expecting say 10 cars 1st time around.

AlanGoodman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by AlanGoodman » Wed Oct 19, 2016 10:40 am

I would have a lot more confidence in him if the home page of the Bristol 24 web site didn't STILL say that the 24 hour race will be taking place on 10/11 October 2015...

He is a chancer trying to make big money from putting on an event in a sport that he clearly doesn't get at all.

We just need to stay well clear of him to be honest.
I've just replied to his email...