Due to lack of use the forum is now read only. Please post questions etc in our facebook group at https://www.facebook.com/groups/128453854681/

DECISIONS NEEDED ASAP!

BFPCR committee members only
All committee business in here. Please move topics found in other areas if needed to here for committee to discuss
User avatar
AlanGoodman
Site Admin
Site Admin
Posts: 424
Joined: Thu Nov 06, 2014 9:13 am
Location: Hemel Hempstead
Team: Apollo Racing
Contact:

DECISIONS NEEDED ASAP!

Post by AlanGoodman » Mon Aug 08, 2016 3:30 pm

Hi All,

We really need to decide ASAP on where we are heading for next season.
Jes proposed a reduced calendar in the light of falling grids (and funds) this year but we haven't really made much progress since then.

The 2017 calendar needs sorting (circuits booking etc) ASAP.

As far as I know we still don't have anybody to operate the timing system next year by the way...

Jes@GCRE
Pedalcar racer
Pedalcar racer
Posts: 522
Joined: Sat Nov 15, 2014 11:34 pm

Re: DECISIONS NEEDED ASAP!

Post by Jes@GCRE » Tue Aug 09, 2016 8:49 am

I have booked Shenington and Curborough for the dates in my original post from 5 months ago.

Jes@GCRE
Pedalcar racer
Pedalcar racer
Posts: 522
Joined: Sat Nov 15, 2014 11:34 pm

Re: DECISIONS NEEDED ASAP!

Post by Jes@GCRE » Tue Aug 09, 2016 8:52 am

I don't quite know why, 2 weeks on, aI am reposting this in another thread but here goes:

Re: BPCC 2017

PostMon Jul 25, 2016 9:58 am

To bring people up to where we are with 2017...

26th March - Round 1:

Either indoors in the South.
Or Wombwell (assisted by Team 105)
Or indoors somewhere else!

What would be amazing is if we can find somewhere indoors and make this a Thing.
However...
Indoors (like a car park or something) does not mean "warm". Remembering the excellent event we had in 2002 run by Barlestone the warehouse where the pits were was absolutely freezing and everyone stood outside until the very last moment then ran inside to change drivers!

23rd April - Round 2:
Bruntingthorpe unless I get an answer from Rissington.
I will publicise this to death if it is Bruntingthorpe and decided fairly soon (like, by Curborough time).

24th - 25th June - Round 3:
Shenington.
We will be in the exam period again but we have been backed into this date by the scoutcar nationals which is the 1st of July.
Therefore, it is going to take a big effort from all concerned to get the word out about this early I feel because - like yesterday - we can't rely on a strong youth presence to make this a success.
Having said all that, there is no reason we can't attract more young (under 14's) teams, it's just the 15 - 18 year age group that has the issue.

July Race:
There is no July Race.
Yesterday was - thanks to Dave and his family - an excellently run event but 10 cars tells the story.
For the first time at Solihull we did actually have our stuff together as regards publicity things to give out and teams having people available to talk to the public. However, five years when none of this happened kind of killed before the current management got their hands on it. We are much better now than we have been ever in the past at getting the word out so perhaps in a few years this can be reinstated but I think we are all agreed that - for the moment at least - if teams want to race in July then they can take part in Ringwood or New Milton.

2nd - 3rd September:
Rounds 4 & 5
Blackbushe
Depending on what we find in the way of the new facilities there may be an opportunity to do something a bit different with the format.
Possibly starting on Saturday afternoon and running a race into the dusk so that distant teams don't need to arrange acomodation on the Friday night.

23rd (or 30th) September:
Round 6
Curborough
I have requested the 30th but that looks unlikely.

User avatar
AlanGoodman
Site Admin
Site Admin
Posts: 424
Joined: Thu Nov 06, 2014 9:13 am
Location: Hemel Hempstead
Team: Apollo Racing
Contact:

Re: DECISIONS NEEDED ASAP!

Post by AlanGoodman » Tue Aug 09, 2016 9:50 am

Thanks Jes...

Right... So does anybody disagree with any of that??

The only thing I would query is (given the conversation on Facebook regarding finances) whether we can afford to go to Bruntingthorpe, a great track but an expensive one that can only accommodate a relatively small number of entries.

Mark??

If everybody agrees with Jes's proposal then all we need to decide is whether we want to try Bournemouth or try to hold pit tents down at Wombwell... or scrap round 1 and start the season in April (which would be my preference to going back to Wombwell in March).

I like the track at Wombwell and would love to try racing there later in the year if that ever becomes an option.

User avatar
dralphs
Site Admin
Site Admin
Posts: 553
Joined: Fri Nov 14, 2014 11:50 pm
Location: Oxford
Team: Falcon Notnray
Contact:

Re: DECISIONS NEEDED ASAP!

Post by dralphs » Tue Aug 09, 2016 8:19 pm

Hi

I have just emailed Camberly Kart Club requesting Sat 2nd & Sun 3rd Sept 2017 for Blackbushe. Fingers crossed its available.

My pref would be Indoor in March then Wombwell in April but avoiding St Georges Parade weekend.
If it has to be that weekend it has to run on a saturday and finish by about 6pm
Dave
Falcon Notnray Racing
www.yarntonscouts.org.uk

Jes@GCRE
Pedalcar racer
Pedalcar racer
Posts: 522
Joined: Sat Nov 15, 2014 11:34 pm

Re: DECISIONS NEEDED ASAP!

Post by Jes@GCRE » Tue Aug 09, 2016 8:26 pm

OK so not the weekend before st George (Easter).
Not the bank holiday weekend.
And not the one after (exams).

So I am open to suggestions...

User avatar
AlanGoodman
Site Admin
Site Admin
Posts: 424
Joined: Thu Nov 06, 2014 9:13 am
Location: Hemel Hempstead
Team: Apollo Racing
Contact:

Re: DECISIONS NEEDED ASAP!

Post by AlanGoodman » Tue Aug 09, 2016 8:41 pm

Yep! Race fees are going to need very careful consideration - We need to cover the costs but obviously don't want to increase them to a level where they are putting people off entering. Reducing costs is the only other option and track hire fees are the biggest cost. All that stops being a problem of course if we can just get more people to come along and race.

Jes@GCRE
Pedalcar racer
Pedalcar racer
Posts: 522
Joined: Sat Nov 15, 2014 11:34 pm

Re: DECISIONS NEEDED ASAP!

Post by Jes@GCRE » Tue Aug 09, 2016 9:14 pm

Race entry fees are not the biggest cost for trams.

It is transport, accommodation, food and (at the front of the field) tyres.

However, 1 day events have to go to £20 and Shenington needs to be £50.
Keep multi car discount if you will, it's not a big thing as only 2 teams so far this year have had the cars to trigger it.

User avatar
AlanGoodman
Site Admin
Site Admin
Posts: 424
Joined: Thu Nov 06, 2014 9:13 am
Location: Hemel Hempstead
Team: Apollo Racing
Contact:

Re: DECISIONS NEEDED ASAP!

Post by AlanGoodman » Tue Aug 09, 2016 9:55 pm

Any further thoughts on round 1?
There are 3 options:
1. Drop it
2. Wombwell
3. Bournemouth.

Jes@GCRE
Pedalcar racer
Pedalcar racer
Posts: 522
Joined: Sat Nov 15, 2014 11:34 pm

Re: DECISIONS NEEDED ASAP!

Post by Jes@GCRE » Tue Aug 09, 2016 11:58 pm

Wombwell by team 105.

I may regret sticking my neck out here!!

User avatar
dralphs
Site Admin
Site Admin
Posts: 553
Joined: Fri Nov 14, 2014 11:50 pm
Location: Oxford
Team: Falcon Notnray
Contact:

Re: DECISIONS NEEDED ASAP!

Post by dralphs » Wed Aug 10, 2016 3:06 pm

Had a reply from Camberley Kart Club

Blackbushe provisionally booked for Sat/Sun Sept 2nd/3rd 2017
Dave
Falcon Notnray Racing
www.yarntonscouts.org.uk

User avatar
Wing Racers
Team Manager
Team Manager
Posts: 59
Joined: Tue Nov 18, 2014 8:14 pm
Team: Wing Racers

Re: DECISIONS NEEDED ASAP!

Post by Wing Racers » Wed Aug 17, 2016 8:13 pm

Hi All, I agree with Alan on the first race that we should drop it and start the season in April. Then concentrate on advertising a 5 round championship...or 6 rounds including New Milton.
Maybe the more BPCC teams that race at Ringwood and New Milton that this will then help attract Ringwood teams to the BPCC, they are the biggest source of readily available teams and cars we have.
Pricing wise £20 a per race and £50 for Shenington seems very reasonable. We are currently burning through £60+ of tyres per race, plus another £50 or so for fuel, so the entry price is a bit insignificant to the overall cost of a days racing for Wing anyway. I would keep the multi car discount.
Wing Racers
______________________
2015 PC1 Champions

User avatar
dralphs
Site Admin
Site Admin
Posts: 553
Joined: Fri Nov 14, 2014 11:50 pm
Location: Oxford
Team: Falcon Notnray
Contact:

Re: DECISIONS NEEDED ASAP!

Post by dralphs » Wed Aug 17, 2016 11:04 pm

I agree with the pricing.

I don't think we can make Ringwood or New Milton into championship rounds since we don't run them.

If we start the season in April will that be Bruntingthorpe (if we can afford it) or Wombwell where Team 105 are willing to organise it and promote it?

Solihull is definately dropped unless (since its hire is free) we use it as a pre shenington test day.
Dave
Falcon Notnray Racing
www.yarntonscouts.org.uk

Jes@GCRE
Pedalcar racer
Pedalcar racer
Posts: 522
Joined: Sat Nov 15, 2014 11:34 pm

Re: DECISIONS NEEDED ASAP!

Post by Jes@GCRE » Thu Aug 18, 2016 10:12 am

Wing Racers wrote:We are currently burning through £60+ of tyres per race,
Quite, perhaps now that Graham has said this people will stop making me feel like a money grabbing git when I tell them it costs £100 for me to "loan" them a car for Blackbushe...
It's no secret. To make ends meet at Apollo (and none of us charge travel expenses, just for tyres, maintenance and entry fees) we have to charge our drivers £25 per day each to race. I have no idea how teams can break even unless they do this so it still amazes me that people think this is somehow all free!
This still works out well when compared to, say, arrive and drive karting which comes in around £1 per minute of track time of course.


However, be all that as it may, I put this up in April and after 4 months we are back to where we started.

What has really upset me is that a couple of days ago you happily let me put a race calendar (that you had given me the thumbs up to post from a messenger thread) on facebook only to then start going off on tangents and pulling it to pieces in public which made me look a complete useless article who had no idea what he was doing.
Thank you all very much for that, much appreciated.

I have been asked to find prices and availabilities for tracks only to then be faced with "I know, let's swap Wombwell for Solihull!" kind of posts days or weeks after I had thought we had an agreement.
And, not to put too fine a point on it, the criteria for events now as opposed to 10 years ago seems to be that we can't race anywhere it might rain, or be cold or the wind might blow or be too far North, or too far South and not in March and not clashing with various events totally outside of my knowledge.
This makes it somewhat difficult, if not impossible, to find 5 venues which will satisfy anyone.

On top of this, I am going to give up another weekend and make a 300 mile round trip to do Brands Hatch to publicise... what exactly? "Oh, yes, I am sure we will have a 2017 championship it's just that after all this time we can't agree what it is yet." Or are we going there just to publicise Shenington?

I have tried to put forward a balanced schedule of different kinds of circuit and different parts of the country but it's not gone down particularly well and I am pretty much out of options.

Therefore, unless someone can tell me a really good reason why I should continue bashing my head against a brick wall with this, I am not going to carry on as competition secretary and good luck to whoever takes it on. Someone with far less love of driving challenging tracks in marginal conditions than myself would be ideal it would seem!

If you are going to 4 events then at least make them good ones but please just decide before September 8th so that we can have them to hand out at Brands Hatch?

User avatar
dralphs
Site Admin
Site Admin
Posts: 553
Joined: Fri Nov 14, 2014 11:50 pm
Location: Oxford
Team: Falcon Notnray
Contact:

Re: DECISIONS NEEDED ASAP!

Post by dralphs » Thu Aug 18, 2016 12:34 pm

Really don't know where to go from here or what to say other than.

Jes - all the work and time and effort you put is in appreciated and if you do decide to move on you will be sorely missed.
Dave
Falcon Notnray Racing
www.yarntonscouts.org.uk

Post Reply