Due to lack of use the forum is now read only. Please post questions etc in our facebook group at https://www.facebook.com/groups/128453854681/

Blackbushe sprint format and points question for committee

BFPCR committee members only
All committee business in here. Please move topics found in other areas if needed to here for committee to discuss
dralphs
Site Admin
Site Admin
Team: Falcon Notnray

Blackbushe sprint format and points question for committee

Post by dralphs » Mon Jul 25, 2016 11:05 am

Morning all

Question regarding Blackbushe sprint format. Why is it 4 x 45min then 3 hours rather than say 3 x 2 hours or 4 x 90 which would be easier to run and score and gives the same racing duration. It would also allow a longer break between races which helps with repairs/maintenance and race control sorting out the grid.
Appreciate we probably cannot change it for this year.

Also with current format i believe there is a bias towards a team winning the short 45 min sprints

Each of the 45-minute races is scored as 1 point for the win, 2 points for 2nd place, 3 for 3rd, etc.
The 3-hour race is scored as 3 points for the win, 6 points for 2nd, 9 for 3rd, etc.

Assume Team a wins all 4 45 min races and comes 2nd in 3hr race. They score 4 x 1 plus 6 total 10
Team b is 2nd in all 4 45 min races and wins the 3hr race. They score 4 x 2 plus 3 total 11

So having won the 4 x 45min races a team knows they only have to come 2nd in the 3hr race, they don't need to challenge for the win.

Surely as the 3 hr race is 4x as long as the 45min it should be scored as 4 points for the win, 8 points for 2nd, 12 for 3rd, etc. This would give:-

Assume Team a wins all 4 45 min races and comes 2nd in 3hr race. They score 4 x 1 plus 8 total 12
Team b is 2nd in all 4 45 min races and wins the 3hr race. They score 4 x 2 plus 4 total 12

So no bias towards the 45min races and unfortunately no outright winner so will need to revert to distance or laps to decide it.

Do we change this before race information sent out?
Dave
Falcon Notnray Racing
www.yarntonscouts.org.uk

Jes@GCRE
Pedalcar racer
Pedalcar racer

Re: Blackbushe sprint format and points question for committee

Post by Jes@GCRE » Mon Jul 25, 2016 11:34 am

I can't remember why the format is as it is but I have never liked it.
(Being different just for the sake of being different I think...)
I am happy to propose that this goes to 3 x 2 hours or something similar for next year.

Originally it was 4 x 90minutes using the circuit in both directions and with or without the chicane but the track really doesn't lend itself to running in reverse with the way the run-offs and corners are laid out (also, the approach to the pit lane is totally blind in the reverse direction).

With the current format, the challenge is that you can't just hang back and wait for the 3 hours - you have to try and win 1 of the sprints and that's a challenge for a team with no "superstar" driver. But it's not a bad challenge to have and brings tactics into play in a big way.

If you made it so there were equal points for the 4 x 45mins as there are for the 3 hour then I think this would still be the case because the 1st criteria for deciding a tie would probably be the team who has won the most races.

Personally, I never feel we have really started the weekend until we get into the 3 hour race, the short sprints where many teams don't change drivers just seem like a bit of a warm up.

dralphs
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by dralphs » Mon Jul 25, 2016 1:51 pm

Ok

Can i propose that the format is looked at to be 3x2 or 4x90 or similar for next year.

However as race organiser can i change how each race is scored for this year to even it up?
Dave
Falcon Notnray Racing
www.yarntonscouts.org.uk

Jes@GCRE
Pedalcar racer
Pedalcar racer

Post by Jes@GCRE » Mon Jul 25, 2016 2:05 pm

Yes, good plan for next year.

I am not sure at what point changes can be made to race format (on the day in the case of extenuating circumstances of course).

AlanGoodman
Site Admin
Site Admin
Team: Apollo Racing

Post by AlanGoodman » Mon Jul 25, 2016 11:49 pm

I don't see any real problem with changing the format for this year if the race organiser wishes to and as long as it's done before the race info goes out...

dralphs
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by dralphs » Tue Jul 26, 2016 7:40 am

Unfortunately it is listed on the website as 4 x 45 then 3 hours.

I think unless whole committee were to approve its probably best to leave the format alone and change it for next year.

Having looked at the timings, i think increasing the gap between race 4 and the 3 hour to 30 minutes may be sensible to allow teams more time for repairs and drivers to grab some lunch, and us to add up the points.
Dave
Falcon Notnray Racing
www.yarntonscouts.org.uk

AlanGoodman
Site Admin
Site Admin
Team: Apollo Racing

Post by AlanGoodman » Tue Jul 26, 2016 7:42 am

Fair enough!
How many teams have already entered?

dralphs
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by dralphs » Tue Jul 26, 2016 9:08 am

Unofficial about 12
Dave
Falcon Notnray Racing
www.yarntonscouts.org.uk

Jes@GCRE
Pedalcar racer
Pedalcar racer

Post by Jes@GCRE » Tue Jul 26, 2016 10:01 am

I haven't entered Swebbelli yet - there will be at least 2 cars and we are working on the 3rd.

I think we need 1 more PC2 driver to make it viable (at present it's 2 teams of 3 and 1 of 4).

J

Gary Holly
Licenced Driver
Licenced Driver

Post by Gary Holly » Sun Jul 31, 2016 11:31 pm

Team 105 entry sheet went in post yesterday for Blackbushe
Car 10 PC1
Car 18 PC2

Both for Saturday race only.

Regards

Gary