Due to lack of use the forum is now read only. Please post questions etc in our facebook group at https://www.facebook.com/groups/128453854681/

post race queries

BFPCR committee members only
All committee business in here. Please move topics found in other areas if needed to here for committee to discuss
Phil.GO
Committee
Committee

post race queries

Post by Phil.GO » Sun Jul 24, 2016 7:00 pm

Hello ,

I just want some help/guidance on post race queries and processes.

This scenario has happened to me twice in the last year and I do not want to repeat and also do not wish it on whoever is in the situation in the future. (plus it is a bit embarrassing)

Points based events can be extremely difficult to handle especially when the last race of the day is finishing.
1 some people are itching to getaway.
2 there can be several races to the flag happening
3 the points need calculating accurately
4 the information for the days racing need to be saved away for official results
5 there is a lot of equipment that needs to be packed properly some of which is essential to the sport.

While that is all in hand to have challenges to missed laps/penalties etc just adds to workload. Also if more than one of these tasks is being done by one person it could lead to mistakes.

Please can we consider:
After the racing for the day is chequered any lap challenges have to be done in the 14 day process.
That points calculations are double checked by different people.

Cheers

Phil

Jes@GCRE
Pedalcar racer
Pedalcar racer

Re: post race queries

Post by Jes@GCRE » Mon Jul 25, 2016 9:06 am

I agree.
What was it yesterday?

dralphs
Site Admin
Site Admin
Team: Falcon Notnray

Post by dralphs » Mon Jul 25, 2016 9:53 am

PCD results initially 1st & 2nd wrong way round, but not sure how, but was corrected with a hasty recount (Thanks Phil) and trophies given out to correct teams.

Agree with Phil that results challenges should be as per the rules ie within 14 days, but not easy when handing out trophies on the day and everyone wants to get off before it rains.

Think one for future committee meeting may be to have Race Control & Team managers separate as that didn't help matters as we were short handed.
Dave
Falcon Notnray Racing
www.yarntonscouts.org.uk

Jes@GCRE
Pedalcar racer
Pedalcar racer

Post by Jes@GCRE » Mon Jul 25, 2016 10:01 am

I understand.
It's never been easy.

One of the reasons for going away from the sprint format for the last round of the season was it removed another set of calculations in between race and presentations.

Thank you to both for sorting this in a calm and professional manner such that the rest of us never even noticed it was going on!

AlanGoodman
Site Admin
Site Admin
Team: Apollo Racing

Post by AlanGoodman » Mon Jul 25, 2016 10:13 am

It was fine - both teams knew who had won PCD and were happy.
With the time pressure at the end of a multi-race event it's amazing we don't have more little mistakes to be honest!

I think the organising yesterday was excellent.

One thing that does need clarifying (it didn't actually matter yesterday) is how points are awarded for the various categories... Whether each class has its own set of points or are just given the overall PC1 points.

dralphs
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by dralphs » Mon Jul 25, 2016 10:32 am

AlanGoodman wrote: One thing that does need clarifying (it didn't actually matter yesterday) is how points are awarded for the various categories... Whether each class has its own set of points or are just given the overall PC1 points.
Alex and Rose have been checking this morning and results as awarded/posted seem correct now. Each class gets points awarded separately but actually didn't make any difference. Obviously not simple with each race having different number of points awarded

In race 1: 1st = 4 points, 2nd = 8 points, 3rd = 12 points etc
In race 2: 1st = 3 points, 2nd = 6 points, 3rd = 9 points etc
In race 3: 1st = 2 points, 2nd = 4 points, 3rd = 6 points etc

and not 3-2-1 which might make in fact more sense

But we got there in the end :)
Dave
Falcon Notnray Racing
www.yarntonscouts.org.uk

Jes@GCRE
Pedalcar racer
Pedalcar racer

Post by Jes@GCRE » Mon Jul 25, 2016 11:37 am

I think the thought behind it was if you awarded points 3-2-1 for the races then you could get a tie if there are 2 cars fighting for the lead.
But it doesn't matter because the team who wins twice would still win.

So you are right, you have to win 2 of the 3 races to win the event assuming you get 2nd in the others.

Phil.GO
Committee
Committee

Post by Phil.GO » Mon Jul 25, 2016 11:50 am

Jes@GCRE wrote:I agree.
What was it yesterday?
Yes,

when hair came to ask about car 8's dropped laps in race 3.
Right in the middle of me calculating the results...

Phil

Jes@GCRE
Pedalcar racer
Pedalcar racer

Post by Jes@GCRE » Mon Jul 25, 2016 11:51 am

It's only natural that team managers will ask (although why it mattered for car 8 yesterday I don't know) but the problem is there is no buffer between managers and lap scorer because that person simply doesn't exist and I don't know how to solve this :(

J

dralphs
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by dralphs » Mon Jul 25, 2016 1:46 pm

Did car 8 actually drop any laps?

I thought (and screenshots seem to agree) that we didn't have any dropped laps.

Maybe we need a request that lapcounter/race control not to be interrupted for 15min period from 5 min before race end to 10min after race end except for critical incidents eg total lapcount fail, red flag etc
Dave
Falcon Notnray Racing
www.yarntonscouts.org.uk

Phil.GO
Committee
Committee

Post by Phil.GO » Mon Jul 25, 2016 4:00 pm

dralphs wrote:Did car 8 actually drop any laps?
AFAIK - there have been no dropped laps* this year so far.

* - when a car has passed over the mat and it not register.**

** - There was an added lap at shennington when a car had to take avoiding action due to a stationary car in the 'funnel' to the start/finish line.