Due to lack of use the forum is now read only. Please post questions etc in our facebook group at https://www.facebook.com/groups/128453854681/

Shenington Date

BFPCR committee members only
All committee business in here. Please move topics found in other areas if needed to here for committee to discuss
Jes@GCRE
Pedalcar racer
Pedalcar racer

Shenington Date

Post by Jes@GCRE » Thu May 19, 2016 12:18 pm

Need to throw this into the pot.

Whereas I am sure we are all well aware now that the major reason for low turnout for races has been that (Ringwood / Blackbushe aside) we only just restarted any serious attempts at publicity this March after a 2 year break, the early date of Shenington this year is actually starting to prove an issue.

Basically we are back into exam-time.

If you look at the entries for Shenington the peak years (2012 - 2014) are when the race has occured on June 30th/1st July, June 29th/30th and June 28th/29th respectively.

Talking it through with Luke last night, if it was a week later this year Swebbelli would be running 3 cars not 1 (at present, there are only 2 drivers for #6 so it's a non-starter). I can't believe Swebbelli are the only team of youngsters who have this problem.

If we followed this through, I would be asking for the date next year to be July 1st & 2nd.

So there are 2 options (assuming, of course, that we can get the circuit on either of them):

1: Run the event next year on the 1st weekend on July. This may clash with the all-important Scoutcar Nationals. Although I can't think that it is completely impossible that they could also move back a week?

2: Run the event next year on June 24th - 25th and accept that it will once again be very difficult to get many of the mid-to-late-teenage group there.

AlanGoodman
Site Admin
Site Admin
Team: Apollo Racing

Re: Shenington Date

Post by AlanGoodman » Thu May 19, 2016 12:22 pm

I'd go for 1st/2nd July.

Jes@GCRE
Pedalcar racer
Pedalcar racer

Post by Jes@GCRE » Thu May 19, 2016 12:28 pm

Whatever we do, getting the race date as soon as we can is always key.
Waiting until November is even getting late in the year.

dralphs
Site Admin
Site Admin
Team: Falcon Notnray

Post by dralphs » Thu May 19, 2016 7:17 pm

I would ask the circuit now as to what dates are available and also ask Team 105 Gary to enquire about Scout Nationals.

My vote is 1/2 July to miss exams.

Assuming we keep Solihull the school term finishes on Friday 21st July so that would make Solihull Sunday 23rd.
I would want it pushed back a week as that puts in in the holidays and likely to have even less attendance, but is the gap between Shenington & Solihull too little?
Dave
Falcon Notnray Racing
www.yarntonscouts.org.uk

Gary Holly
Licenced Driver
Licenced Driver

Post by Gary Holly » Thu May 19, 2016 10:57 pm

I can ask the question about scoutcars next year but if the date was to clash then we would probably miss Shennington as we take 11 teams to the Scout Nationals from a Cubs to Explorers.

Regards

Gary

Team 105

Jes@GCRE
Pedalcar racer
Pedalcar racer

Post by Jes@GCRE » Fri May 20, 2016 12:36 pm

dralphs wrote:I would ask the circuit now as to what dates are available and also ask Team 105 Gary to enquire about Scout Nationals.

My vote is 1/2 July to miss exams.

Assuming we keep Solihull the school term finishes on Friday 21st July so that would make Solihull Sunday 23rd.
I would want it pushed back a week as that puts in in the holidays and likely to have even less attendance, but is the gap between Shenington & Solihull too little?
My original suggestion for 2017 was to drop the July date altogether.

Jes@GCRE
Pedalcar racer
Pedalcar racer

Post by Jes@GCRE » Fri May 20, 2016 12:39 pm

Gary Holly wrote:I can ask the question about scoutcars next year but if the date was to clash then we would probably miss Shennington as we take 11 teams to the Scout Nationals from a Cubs to Explorers.

Regards

Gary

Team 105
So we would be 4 cars down but the question is would we gain enough from teams like Swebbelli who can't race at the scoutcar nationals?
It's going to be a tricky one to call.

You also have to remember that Mike Leach appears to very much dislike what we do (and has said so on fb on occasion) so it unlikely to want to do us any favours! Which is a bit sad but there it is.

Gary Holly
Licenced Driver
Licenced Driver

Post by Gary Holly » Fri May 20, 2016 5:06 pm

For shennington this year we are a couple of parents down due to family events otherwise we would have been bringing 5 teams.

It is new teams we need at the younger end so how do we promote that. We lost Howling a Dog this year as we did not go to Wombwell maybe they would have come to shennington.

Our team are in Swansea on June 11th taking part in the 100th Anniversary of Cub Scouts. They are expecting over 1000 cubs and are setting up a race track and taking 6 cars down for the cubs to have a go. We are printing off flyers to promote both British Pedal Car Racing and Scoutcar Racing. We will have a stall with plans, pics and cars available to measure, take pics etc.
hopefully we may get some new teams from this area again.

I am not aware of any comments from Mike regards the British Pedalcar Racing but I do know that all venues are booked 18 months in advance due to having to get per work into scout headquarters.

I am organising the 2018 Nationals and our venue and date will have to be in place by September this year.

We can as a Team 105 hand out flyers at this years Scout Nationals promoting the sport. Do you have a template for an A 5 flyer I can use..

It is only transport and costs that stop Team 105 putting out teams at any race otherwise I can see us putting at least 7 or more teams on the grid. We are the largest Scoutcar team and we have an healthy fleet of old Apollo,s which we have invested heavily on in upgrading them one by one.

However we can promote both codes we will, but as mentioned we have already missed out on the teams from Barnsley due to change and we don't want to lose any more.

Regards

Gary

Team 105 Racing

Jes@GCRE
Pedalcar racer
Pedalcar racer

Post by Jes@GCRE » Fri May 20, 2016 5:41 pm

I agree the move to Shrewsbury was something of a disaster.

I will put you in touch with Marc and Chris by e-mail over flyers.