Due to lack of use the forum is now read only. Please post questions etc in our facebook group at https://www.facebook.com/groups/128453854681/

Drone Filming

BFPCR committee members only
All committee business in here. Please move topics found in other areas if needed to here for committee to discuss
gcre
Licenced Driver
Licenced Driver

Drone Filming

Post by gcre » Tue May 03, 2016 10:53 am

Hi,

Sam Tiller (Apollo) has an Uncle who works for a production company and is an expert drone filming person. He is interested in possibly doing some filming for us, maybe for publicity or telling a story etc.

The company is: http://www.seymourproductions.co.uk/

A question has also been asked about budget for this and possible expenses.

Anyone interested in being put in touch with this guy? I guess there are a number of things which spring to my mind:

1. Do we have any budget? Our changes at the AGM plus Shrewsbury cost plus dip in numbers I suspect may reduce our "buffer" somewhat.

2. What sort of thing do we want / need? Whilst a pro-looking clip on Facebook etc would be lovely would it actually help anything? Is email drops or hard-copy media better?

3. Where and how can we actually do this? What is our policy on drones + what about insurance etc?

4. Do we think venues would be happy bearing in mind the proximity at Shenington and Blackbushe to flying things?

5. what about public interaction at Solihull?

6. With other distractions such as lack of Shenington Marshals and other publicity stuff do we really need this at the moment or maybe go for Curborough to set something up for getting out in winter 16 / 17?

We need to get back to this guy fairly soon.

chris.

AlanGoodman
Site Admin
Site Admin
Team: Apollo Racing

Re: Drone Filming

Post by AlanGoodman » Tue May 03, 2016 3:29 pm

I think I'd ask the question the other way round to be honest - How much is he looking for to do this?

If he gives us an idea then we'll know if it's something we can sensibly afford (if we think it will have any benefits).

There are lots of drones around now and I'm fairly sure several people involved in the sport probably have them or know people that have and may be willing to shoot some film free of charge just for fun (or for a bacon butty from Bear Grills...)

Lots of people also have helmet cameras or dashcams etc that could be mounted on cars to give some footage.

I agree flying them at Shenington or Blackbushe is unlikely to be possible because there are active airfields very nearby.

dralphs
Site Admin
Site Admin
Team: Falcon Notnray

Post by dralphs » Tue May 03, 2016 6:54 pm

gcre wrote:Hi,

1. Do we have any budget? Our changes at the AGM plus Shrewsbury cost plus dip in numbers I suspect may reduce our "buffer" somewhat.

2. What sort of thing do we want / need? Whilst a pro-looking clip on Facebook etc would be lovely would it actually help anything? Is email drops or hard-copy media better?

3. Where and how can we actually do this? What is our policy on drones + what about insurance etc?

4. Do we think venues would be happy bearing in mind the proximity at Shenington and Blackbushe to flying things?

5. what about public interaction at Solihull?

6. With other distractions such as lack of Shenington Marshals and other publicity stuff do we really need this at the moment or maybe go for Curborough to set something up for getting out in winter 16 / 17?

We need to get back to this guy fairly soon.

chris.
1/ As Alan said lets reverse it and see what price he charges

2/ We already have access to the Video filmed last year at Blackbushe plus numerous others including the BBC one so i would be reluctant to pay a large sum just to have a drone filmed one unless the venue also want it to highlight their circuit.

3/ Something to discuss by Exec and AGM. Insurance - would have thought that operator needs to have insurance since its his drone.

4/ Shenington - definite NO as one hint of us causing trouble to the glider club will see us lose the circuit unless they agree to it first.
Solihull & Shrewsbury - probably no due to rules covering flying over public and lack of control of the public.
Bruntingthorpe - No due to airfield operations & Security.
Blackbushe - If he keeps below the treeline probably wouldn't be an issue but security might say no.
Curborough - probably easiest site.

5/ see above - its a no

6/ Think Curborough best shot and get it out for 16/17 along with season guide etc before xmas.

Arrangements should be handled by an Officer of club which really means Secretary or Publicity (if we had one)
Dave
Falcon Notnray Racing
www.yarntonscouts.org.uk

gcre
Licenced Driver
Licenced Driver

Post by gcre » Wed May 04, 2016 4:37 pm

This was more from Justin:

I have understood from Sam that there isn’t really a budget for this sort of thing, but I was open to doing something for the pedal car championship as a favour to him. If you were able to cover expenses, though, that would be terrific.

I’m not making any firm promises at this stage as it will depend somewhat on my availability, but have a think about what, ultimately, would be useful to you. For example, it could be just some unedited aerial footage (and photos) of a race. Or it could also include some ground-based images. Or would it be worth considering trying to put together an edited promotional film, which would include some aerial footage as well as, perhaps, some brief interviews with key people about what’s so attractive about pedal car racing, etc?

Obviously this final option is the most complex and would require a larger crew than just me - I’d need to persuade/trick some others to work for nothing, but that’s not necessarily impossible.

You’re right to flag the issue of airports and aerodromes. With a drone the size of mine it is permissible to fly in restricted airspace but, of course, it’s all about safety and one overriding consideration would be that we don’t endanger other aircraft. So if one of these venues is one we end up considering, it would require careful liaison with ATC.

Other crucial legal parameters (again with safety in mind) are that the pilot must maintain visual contact with the drone at all times; it must not be flown more that 400ft above ground level or more than 500m away from the pilot; it must not be flown within 50m or directly overhead of any people, vehicles or buildings not under the pilot’s control - a bit of a vague term, but I think as long as we made people aware, we could assume they could be considered to be under my control. We also can’t fly within 150m of a crowd of 1,000 or more people - that’s not likely though is it? And we need the written permission of the landowner (or their representative) to operate from a location.

Weather’s also a factor, as you can probably imagine.

Lots to consider… All do-able I expect, with the right planning.

Let me know your thoughts once you’ve had a chance to discuss with the committee