Due to lack of use the forum is now read only. Please post questions etc in our facebook group at https://www.facebook.com/groups/128453854681/

Old timing mat

BFPCR committee members only
All committee business in here. Please move topics found in other areas if needed to here for committee to discuss
dralphs
Site Admin
Site Admin
Team: Falcon Notnray

Old timing mat

Post by dralphs » Sun Apr 10, 2016 5:34 pm

Hi all

Myself and Rose have changed the cable layout on the old mat to match the new. It now has two wide loops so should perform better. I still need to replace one plug that's broken but will do it this week.

The mat should then be fine to use as a backup for the rest of the year and can be kept along with the other timing box.

However i think we need to consider replacing it over the next off season period as the rubber is starting to perish in places and there are a few cuts and tears from where it has been folded and repaired over the years

The existing mat is 1.2m wide x 5m long x 3mm thick fine ribbed rubber. Approx cost £30
We could do same width but 7m long for £40 if the cables are long enough.
Its difficult to find fine ribbed in 1.5m wide i have found one supplier 6m for £60

For comparison the other mat is 7m x 1.5m x 3mm broad ribbed and cost approx £90.

Given how heavy and awkward the new 7m mat is, i wonder if we need to rethink it and the old mat, maybe changing both back to 6m wide x 1.2 or similar (can get 12m of 1.2m fine for £120). Something for discussion and then agreement at AGM.
Dave
Falcon Notnray Racing
www.yarntonscouts.org.uk

AlanGoodman
Site Admin
Site Admin
Team: Apollo Racing

Re: Old timing mat

Post by AlanGoodman » Sun Apr 10, 2016 8:11 pm

Many thanks Dave - Yes, we really need to think about the people who have to store and transport the kit.

Out of interest BHPC have just purchased a secondhand timing system from a cycling club for £1500. It uses little stick-on tags similar to those used to detect theft in shops.

It hasn't actually been used yet but tags were handed out to riders at Hillingdon and it should be at every race this year if anybody would like to see it. There is no mat - Receivers (again similar to those used in shops) are set up at the side of the track apparently.

dralphs
Site Admin
Site Admin
Team: Falcon Notnray

Re: Old timing mat

Post by dralphs » Sun Apr 10, 2016 10:39 pm

Interesting. If we hadn't bought the second timing box that would have been a possibility, but now we have the box the only other idea is to see if identec do a stanchion type antenna (or we can build a pair) that is easier to transport.
Dave
Falcon Notnray Racing
www.yarntonscouts.org.uk