Due to lack of use the forum is now read only. Please post questions etc in our facebook group at https://www.facebook.com/groups/128453854681/

BPCC 2017

BFPCR committee members only
All committee business in here. Please move topics found in other areas if needed to here for committee to discuss
Jes@GCRE
Pedalcar racer
Pedalcar racer

BPCC 2017

Post by Jes@GCRE » Fri Feb 26, 2016 5:18 pm

Dear Concerned People*,

I think it may be time to bring matters to a head.

To be fair, this has been building for several years.

In my opinion, the lack of an overall BPCC publicity person (and at present there is no one willing or able to take this on) has combined with other factors to bring about the situation we have at present.
Some of these have been, with hindesight, within our control and some of them are just bad luck - personal and tragic reasons meaning we have lost people.

Either way, if we simply carry on with "business as usual" then we have to expect that the sport will either die completely or descend to the level where the teams we have no longer see it as worth the time and money competing.

Let's face it. Pedal car racing is not an easy sport.
Competing, especially with the logistics and engineering involved in running a team of people with different sizes, styles and levels of ability, is actually very difficult - there are much easier sports to get involved in!
But, as Swebbelli say: "If it isn't hard, it isn't worth it." (I assume they are talking about racing...)

Chris made a suggestion back in November which at the time I brushed off, but since then has seemed more and more sensible as time moves on and interest in the 2016 season opener hasn't started to gather.
(For example, how many people are waxing lyrical about the coming races on facebook or instagram? How many are plugging the bpcc2016 hashtag? 6 perhaps? Anyone outside this committee?)

Here we go then...

The basic idea is, perhaps temporarily, retreat into running 4 events and concentrate on running them well rather than 6 events, at least 2 of which many teams don't support (actually, that is unfair, they are at inconvenient times of year anyway so only the most dedicated followers of the sport will attend).

Therefore I propose, at this early stage, that the 2017 racing calendar should look something like this:

[Easter is April 16th]

Saturday, April 22nd - Bruntingthorpe

July 1st & 2nd - Shenington 24hours

September 2nd - Blackbushe
September 3rd - Blackbushe

Saturday, September 30th - Curborough

4 events, totaling 5 races and 48 hours of racing, on 4 iconic circuits, each of which has it's own "special thing":

Bruntingthorpe: Air museum, planes parked in the pits! And a very different track.
Shenington: A 24 hour race
Blackbushe: A double-header, and the best circuit
Curborough: A day / night race.

It also gives a mix of circuit types:

Bruntingthorpe: All corners
Shenington & Blackbushe: Intermediate
Curborough: Flat out

The advantages I see in this are:

1: We are spread too thinly at present anyway.
2: The whole thing would be more "accessible" as a series of events.
3: If someone (such as Rob Harris) wants to run a new event somewhere then we have some ready-made gaps in the calendar for them.
4: If teams want to do Ringwood, they are not then trying to race the following week.

In fact, as far as Ringwood is concerned, if teams want to do a race in July, perhaps we should be encouraging them to join in Ringwood not making it difficult for them to do so by putting a "compulsory" BPCC event in the week after?

Also, by more "BPCC teams" going to Ringwood and helping Steph spread the word hopefully more "Ringwood Teams" will be encouraged to join us at Blackbushe.

Now the crux of the matter:

This only works if each race has an organising team willing to plug that race as if it is the best (or indeed only!) race in the country and to go out into the local area and generate some interest (remember, this takes several years, it won't happen overnight!).
This drive has to happen 6 to 9 months out - going mad with e-mails 6 weeks before the event is too late to get new teams involved (but is still worth it because you may jog memories or get people to come and watch and they may enter next year of course).

What we need is 4 people, or groups of people, who can take these events on.

History proves time and time again that the sport being successful in the long term is not us attracting a team like Rugby Velo who may run 1 car very effectively for 3 or 4 years, not see it as their prerogative to help the sport in general, and then leave to do other things. (Although we do of course need to aim high and get teams like this to keep moving the sport on and pushing the envelope.)
It is in getting teams like Falcon, Team 105 and Swebbelli hooked who will not only bring multiple cars to multiple events for many years but will muck in, help set events up, and help the sport grow as well.
Remember, Wing Racers were just one of these teams who started out as a group of scouts and grew up to be champions!

What is also lacking, for every race except Shenington and Blackbushe at present, is the local "once a year" teams who give events such variety. The local scouts, the charity teams from local businesses, the local cycling club etc.
We have never even managed this at Curborough. To be fair, we haven't really tried though!
This has to be done at a race by race basis.
Let's be honest, if every race was just Apollo, Swebbelli and Wing, we could meet in a tesco's car park rather than going to all the trouble of hiring these expensive venues.

(As an aside, celebrities doing races only works if they wear their helmets correctly so you can use their photo in publicity material!!)

Anyway, plenty there for people to consider.

I for one would far rather attend 4 enjoyable, well attended, competitive, weekends during the year than call myself British Champion simply because my team was the only one of the front-runners able to attend Shrewsbury and Solihull.

But I think if we do nothing at this stage we will lose everything we have worked so hard to build up since the dark days of 1997.

Jes

*If you think there are more concerned people who need to be added, please say so!

AlanGoodman
Site Admin
Site Admin
Team: Apollo Racing

Re: BPCC 2017

Post by AlanGoodman » Fri Feb 26, 2016 6:09 pm

I'm inclined to agree with all that (sadly)... I would almost question whether Shrewsbury is worth the effort this year with 8 entries! It's certainly not going to be a great advert for the sport.

I really hope that Shrewsbury is just a blip and we'll see a good sized, competitive field at Bruntingthorpe and beyond, but otherwise I thing Jes's suggestion to concentrate on fewer but better events is probably the way forward.

Jes@GCRE
Pedalcar racer
Pedalcar racer

Post by Jes@GCRE » Fri Feb 26, 2016 8:55 pm

I don't think cancelling an event is ever a good plan but it is going to be a funny old day.

What we need to do is to decide on whether to carry on regardless or try something to put it right.

dralphs
Site Admin
Site Admin
Team: Falcon Notnray

Post by dralphs » Fri Feb 26, 2016 11:51 pm

Jes@GCRE wrote:I don't think cancelling an event is ever a good plan but it is going to be a funny old day.

What we need to do is to decide on whether to carry on regardless or try something to put it right.
I suppose one question has to be how out of pocket are we with only 8 entries, not that that should be a criteria to cancel but may have some bearing on it.
Dave
Falcon Notnray Racing
www.yarntonscouts.org.uk

dralphs
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by dralphs » Fri Feb 26, 2016 11:52 pm

I think we are unlucky with Shrewsbury this year, it can't help that its early, people remember the bad weather at wombwell last year and its clashing with other events.

TBH although we have entered i have no idea if i have drivers (4 are at uni until the friday evening) and if i didn't have the timing gear i might be tempted to give it a miss. Until i see the circuit i can't say what i prefer but i like the Wombwell weekend setup.

We may be better off going back to Wombwell next year if Gary (Team 105) is prepared to organise but it needs to be at earliest Easter.

Rest of dates seem ok. Shame to lose Solihull since its cheap but we need people to organise it and really although i'm doing it i would rather not be doing effectively 3 rounds (Solihull, Blackbushe x2)

Also as Jes has said he is looking for someone else to takeover one (or both?) of his races we need to get people in who are willing to run races and sit on the committe. Its same story as Scouts or any where else, the same old faces doing all the work and no-one volunteering. If anyone has ideas please do share.

I'm happy to chuck my hat in the ring and say we will definitely organise blackbushe next year to set the ball rolling.
Dave
Falcon Notnray Racing
www.yarntonscouts.org.uk

dralphs
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by dralphs » Fri Feb 26, 2016 11:55 pm

Something i discussed briefly with Mark the other night. I think we need a central online store of the teams contact details so that the publicist (when we get one) and the race organizers can all access it and keep it up to date. That way it will help in a little way to let organizers publicize the next event or two.
Dave
Falcon Notnray Racing
www.yarntonscouts.org.uk

AlanGoodman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by AlanGoodman » Sat Feb 27, 2016 12:07 am

Yep - BHPC has the same problem... It's only a small group of us that organise all the races. We may still have a couple more entries to take us into double figures at Shrewsbury with a bit of luck... But most that want to enter will have done by now.

The real shame I think is that it will be championship over before it really gets going barring disasters as far as PC1 and PC2 go at least...

gcre
Licenced Driver
Licenced Driver

Post by gcre » Sat Feb 27, 2016 9:37 am

I obviously think there is some legs in this.. but also its worth having it in our heads and seeing again after Bruntingthorpe.

Round 1 is difficult this year. We always new it was a big gamble putting it so early. I don't think Shrewsbury is quite as good a track as Wombwell, but has better facilities especially in bad weather. Mind you if there are 8 of us we will be using the short track I hope which has a rather interesting bottom hairpin!

Jes@GCRE
Pedalcar racer
Pedalcar racer

Post by Jes@GCRE » Sat Feb 27, 2016 9:57 am

Forget the championship for the moment.

This is primarily about how to put on 4 good events that are well publicised, by organisers who will make it their business to do so, and rebuild the core number of teams needed to support the sport.

In time, the championship will look after itself.

Moving from Wombwell with it's growing local support and closeness to a race controller has been a mistake but as long as we learn from it we can move on.

AlanGoodman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by AlanGoodman » Sat Feb 27, 2016 10:03 am

Absolutely no question that Wombwell was a better track - There are very few better ones I think. Maybe we should try that in the Solihull slot...

Jes@GCRE
Pedalcar racer
Pedalcar racer

Post by Jes@GCRE » Sat Feb 27, 2016 10:07 am

I think the point is being lost. I'm proposing to lose the Solihull Slot for 2017.

Gary Holly
Licenced Driver
Licenced Driver

Post by Gary Holly » Sat Feb 27, 2016 11:26 am

I feel a bit guilty now as Team 105 not making the grid for Shrewsbury, as mentioned most of our Team including parents who transport us around will be at the Manchester Derby. Our 5 teams would make a difference, we will be at Bruntingthorpe but as mentioned I will be at Windsor.
We have been busy on our cars all winter with some new upgrades to our PC 1 cars that we are looking forward to testing out on the track.
Looking at maybe a proposed Callander for next year the 24 hour race would clash with the National Scoutcar Championships so we could find we may not be able to enter Shennington due to Scoutcar commitments.
I hope Shrewsbury goes ahead and the Teams endure a great race and as the discussions are going everyone will ensure our sport is at the forefront.
Regards

Gary Team 105 Racing

AlanGoodman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by AlanGoodman » Sat Feb 27, 2016 11:49 am

Oh Shrewsbury will definitely be going ahead... I was just sort of thinking out loud...

Shenington clashing with Scoutcars will definitely need to be addressed... That would be a disaster.

This assumes we find a new organiser for Shenington after Jes steps down of course!

Jes@GCRE
Pedalcar racer
Pedalcar racer

Post by Jes@GCRE » Sat Feb 27, 2016 12:10 pm

I can't pretend that team 105 not supporting this event hasn't sparked this all off but perhaps it needed sparking anyway to be fair.

We should be aiming for a stage where we are not reliant on the 1 big team we have to make any event a success.

Will scoutcars not hop back a week at some point?

If not, Shenington will simply have to be the week before because scoutcars is the longer established event.

Jes@GCRE
Pedalcar racer
Pedalcar racer

Post by Jes@GCRE » Mon Feb 29, 2016 2:07 pm

AlanGoodman wrote:This assumes we find a new organiser for Shenington after Jes steps down of course!
If we adopt my proposal then it would make the most sense for me to do Bruntingthorpe as it is the closest.