Due to lack of use the forum is now read only. Please post questions etc in our facebook group at https://www.facebook.com/groups/128453854681/

2016 Insurance Renewal

BFPCR committee members only
All committee business in here. Please move topics found in other areas if needed to here for committee to discuss
Mark Williams
Site Admin
Site Admin

2016 Insurance Renewal

Post by Mark Williams » Sun Nov 22, 2015 11:24 pm

As copied in to Alan, we have received our renewal letter suggesting a cost of £685.10 for next season's insurance.

I have asked the question about the potential exposure of / cover for the Committee over and above the wording on the Team Sheet.

Will update accordingly...
Mark
BFPCR Treasurer
East Yorkshire

Mark Williams
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: 2016 Insurance Renewal

Post by Mark Williams » Thu Dec 03, 2015 10:36 am

UPDATE

Bluefin are looking at a separate independent Directors and Officers type cover that businesses can use to indemnify themselves from others wishing to sue.

This sounds more like what was discussed at Committee. Hopefully will be better than the 2.5k premium for the other cover offered.

Our basic renewal is for £5m public cover. Please can others confirm I can get Jes to countersign a cheque this weekend?
Mark
BFPCR Treasurer
East Yorkshire

dralphs
Site Admin
Site Admin
Team: Falcon Notnray

Post by dralphs » Thu Dec 03, 2015 10:48 am

Yeah go for it. Can add other later
Dave
Falcon Notnray Racing
www.yarntonscouts.org.uk

Jes@GCRE
Pedalcar racer
Pedalcar racer

Post by Jes@GCRE » Thu Dec 03, 2015 10:49 am

Reading it through, I think they misunderstood what you were asking 1st time around.

You can't insure yourself (or your competitors) against injuries which occur during sport. Otherwise no one would ever be able to play any sport.

What the thrust of the conversation at Coventry was I think is that if we do something stupid we can be held responsible.
Such as, if we knowingly put a burger van on the outside of a corner and then someone then hits the van we would have been guilty of negligence.

I am wondering how we reconcile this with Solihull where it is not possible to segregate public from race track, sometimes not even with signage. It is our only venue where you don't obviously have to access a restricted site to get onto the racing surface. To be honest, it's the only one that worries me as far as liability is concerned. If there was an accident involving a member of public, how do we prove we have taken every reasonable precaution to stop this happening?

Alan, where do the BHPC race which is similar if at all? And how do they cope with it?

AlanGoodman
Site Admin
Site Admin
Team: Apollo Racing

Post by AlanGoodman » Thu Dec 03, 2015 11:34 am

The only tracks BHPC use that are easily accessible by the public are Hillingdon and the Salt Ayre Circuit, Lancaster. In both cases there are points where public footpaths cross the circuit. We just put a couple of marshalls at those points.
We had to stop the race at Lancaster a couple of years ago when a bunch of drunken Pikeys decided to push a shopping trolley round the track...

dralphs
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by dralphs » Thu Dec 03, 2015 9:37 pm

Mark

I think two questions were raised but please correct me if i'm wrong.

Do we have cover should anyone helping out (race control, in pit etc - not one of the drivers). This policy http://www.scoutinsurance.co.uk/cover_p ... ident.html is what we in Scouts add on to cover our helpers who aren't Leaders. We might be able to get something similar, or we may wish to add wording to our race entry to state that we aren't liable for helpers etc etc etc and suggest

The other insurance we need seems to be trustee indemnity or similar. It may be worth giving unity insurance a ring (see http://www.unityinsuranceservices.co.uk ... rance.html) and have a chat with them since i'm sure they get asked similar questions from the Scout & guide groups who are their main customers.
Dave
Falcon Notnray Racing
www.yarntonscouts.org.uk

dralphs
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by dralphs » Thu Dec 03, 2015 9:49 pm

Having another read and google.

Although we don't have employees, its possible to insure volunteers on an employers liability policy provided it staets employees and volunteers see http://www.volunteernow.co.uk/fs/doc/pu ... eet-nl.pdf and https://www.gov.uk/government/publicati ... -insurance

so is that what we need?
Dave
Falcon Notnray Racing
www.yarntonscouts.org.uk

AlanGoodman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by AlanGoodman » Thu Dec 03, 2015 11:03 pm

All BHPC have is Public Liability Insurance...
Anything else would cost way too much.

Mark Williams
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Mark Williams » Fri Dec 04, 2015 12:18 am

To be clear in my view, in the same way we would not cover drivers, the federation can't be expected to provide cover for other team members from the actions of a driver. Well, not unless we massively increase our fed membership to cover a 2.5k premium as offered via BlueFin.

However, the Directors and Officers cover I think could be how we can protect the Committee over and above the caveats on the Teamsheet. Subject to cover details we may have to consider if we need to co-opt volunteering roles such as Race Controller onto Committee to give benefit. In that sense perhaps Phil is most "at risk" or even Gary as Scrutineer?
Mark
BFPCR Treasurer
East Yorkshire

Mark Williams
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Mark Williams » Fri Dec 04, 2015 12:20 am

2.5k divided by twenty fed teams... £125 more anyone?
Mark
BFPCR Treasurer
East Yorkshire

AlanGoodman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by AlanGoodman » Fri Dec 04, 2015 6:16 am

Exactly.
That rules it out for 2016 as race and Fed fees were set at the AGM.

Jes@GCRE
Pedalcar racer
Pedalcar racer

Post by Jes@GCRE » Fri Dec 04, 2015 9:19 am

To me, the caveats on the team sheet seem very clear.
Ringwood must have similar - in fact it wouldn't surprise me if we borrowed ours from them or the other way around.