Due to lack of use the forum is now read only. Please post questions etc in our facebook group at https://www.facebook.com/groups/128453854681/

Ringwood 2016 equipment hire

BFPCR committee members only
All committee business in here. Please move topics found in other areas if needed to here for committee to discuss
User avatar
dralphs
Site Admin
Site Admin
Posts: 553
Joined: Fri Nov 14, 2014 11:50 pm
Location: Oxford
Team: Falcon Notnray
Contact:

Ringwood 2016 equipment hire

Post by dralphs » Fri Oct 30, 2015 6:12 pm

Hi all

Steph has been talking with Jim Stride regarding possible hire of our timing kit for the Ringwwod 2016 race. Jim also cam up to Blackbushe and had a talk with (i presume) Phil in the timing cabin.

This is the email i recieved from Jim today after an IM last night on FB from Steph
Thank you so much for your help with the lap counting.

Our maximum capacity for the planned 2 pedal car races is 72 cars, probably end up with 68 cars actually racing on the day, so that is say 34 cars per race.

There is a tight turn around so all cars will need to be fitted and tested from 8am to 10.30am on Sunday, do you have enough transponders?

Race No1 Starts at 11.15am
Race No1 Finishes 1.15pm

Race No2 Starts at 2.15pm
Race No2 Finishes 4.15pm

The pedal car organisation will be making a donation to your organisation for your trouble, do you have a figure in mind?

Will be changing ftp passwords etc next week and will forward on when this has been done.

Our plan is to collect from each team a £20 deposit for the transponders which will be repaid on their return after the race. Does this sound about right.

Many thanks

Jim Stride
Race Director for the “RINGWOOD BREWERY British Pedal Car Grand Prix Sunday 10th July 2016”
So as per early email exchange today with Alan and Jes, i have posted this here to get the ball rolling.

It appears that an offer has already been made for use of our kit. I assume this was verbally done at Blackbushe.

We need to discuss and decide how we proceed with this and what we will charge.

Jes has already suggested
I suggest we find out how much 70 tags cost and that - plus expenses - should be the cost?
To my knowledge the TC4S Cryptag are £20 each so that would be £1400 + expenses

We will need to ensure that Phil or whoever will run the second laptop (we should really have a 2nd laptop ready to run incase Phils fails) is happy to attend Ringwood.

We will need to find out what mat width is required 5M or 7M and then sort out logistics of transporting that and Arthur/Guinevere and batteries.
Dave
Falcon Notnray Racing
www.yarntonscouts.org.uk

User avatar
AlanGoodman
Site Admin
Site Admin
Posts: 426
Joined: Thu Nov 06, 2014 9:13 am
Location: Hemel Hempstead
Team: Apollo Racing
Contact:

Re: Ringwood 2016 equipment hire

Post by AlanGoodman » Fri Oct 30, 2015 6:20 pm

Also need to establish (and protect ourselves from) liability if the timing kit were to fail.
First thing to establish is whether or not somebody is willing and able to go down and operate the kit.

User avatar
Phil.GO
Committee
Committee
Posts: 55
Joined: Sun Nov 16, 2014 10:27 pm

Re: Ringwood 2016 equipment hire

Post by Phil.GO » Sat Oct 31, 2015 11:42 am

Jim came to see me during the blackbushe races and asked me about lapcount for 2016 ringwood.
I said in principle it can be done but it is up to the committee/sport to decide not me.

I agree with jes and alan that liability needs to be addressed and the cost should be along the lines of whatever 70 tags cost.

I am prepared to support the event (no expenses) IF i get support from at least two other people.
These people really need to come to at least 2 of the first 3 rounds of 2016 and run lapcounting with me to "learn the ropes". Also we really need 2nd and 3rd laptops with all the software ready to go.
Further to that contingencies need to be in place for breakdowns at the event and for the following BPCC race.

other thoughts:
- Support from Ringwood race in the form of somewhere for lapcounting to be, Power, parking, wet weather cover etc.
- New/extra batteries?
- Dave the race is on public roads there may be drains/services under the road where lapcounting is will that affect?
- i am sure there other points maybe next committee meeting it should be addressed?


Phil

User avatar
AlanGoodman
Site Admin
Site Admin
Posts: 426
Joined: Thu Nov 06, 2014 9:13 am
Location: Hemel Hempstead
Team: Apollo Racing
Contact:

Re: Ringwood 2016 equipment hire

Post by AlanGoodman » Sat Oct 31, 2015 12:09 pm

Thanks Phil!
I think it would be good to have other people able to back you up in operating the timing kit anyway.

User avatar
dralphs
Site Admin
Site Admin
Posts: 553
Joined: Fri Nov 14, 2014 11:50 pm
Location: Oxford
Team: Falcon Notnray
Contact:

Re: Ringwood 2016 equipment hire

Post by dralphs » Sat Oct 31, 2015 12:28 pm

Phil

I'm happy to help out where i can, but currently only have work laptop which isn't usable due to "restrictions" in place. Also for the early rounds i'm likely to be running our team on my own which makes it difficult to be in pit and lapcounting but i'll ask around our group.

I will ask Jim regarding your questions, but i do wonder if we ought to maybe ask Steph (since she is local) to be our representative and go-between for us.
Dave
Falcon Notnray Racing
www.yarntonscouts.org.uk

User avatar
Mark Williams
Site Admin
Site Admin
Posts: 201
Joined: Tue Aug 26, 2014 6:58 pm
Location: East Yorkshire

Re: Ringwood 2016 equipment hire

Post by Mark Williams » Sat Oct 31, 2015 11:05 pm

For clarity, which weekend is the race?
Mark
BFPCR Treasurer
East Yorkshire

User avatar
AlanGoodman
Site Admin
Site Admin
Posts: 426
Joined: Thu Nov 06, 2014 9:13 am
Location: Hemel Hempstead
Team: Apollo Racing
Contact:

Re: Ringwood 2016 equipment hire

Post by AlanGoodman » Sat Oct 31, 2015 11:11 pm

It's Sunday, 10th July...

User avatar
dralphs
Site Admin
Site Admin
Posts: 553
Joined: Fri Nov 14, 2014 11:50 pm
Location: Oxford
Team: Falcon Notnray
Contact:

Re: Ringwood 2016 equipment hire

Post by dralphs » Sun Nov 01, 2015 9:30 pm

Jims answer to questions regarding power etc, also see attachment
Hi Dave

There will be a portable cabin with 2 levels, the finish line is off road in the market place (believe no power cables, metal pipes etc), there will be power.


Many thanks

Jim Stride
Attachments
Start Finish Line in the Market Place.pdf
(141.13 KiB) Downloaded 23 times
Dave
Falcon Notnray Racing
www.yarntonscouts.org.uk

Jes@GCRE
Pedalcar racer
Pedalcar racer
Posts: 522
Joined: Sat Nov 15, 2014 11:34 pm

Re: Ringwood 2016 equipment hire

Post by Jes@GCRE » Mon Nov 02, 2015 2:08 pm

My memory could be wrong but I think this is the tight corner which is basically cobbles.

You have to chuck the car in, aim several feet in advance of the apex of the corner and literally allow the cobbles to bounce you towards the outside of the track to take the racing line or you lose a huge amount of speed. So cars are definately all 4 wheels off the ground at times and also moving sideways as well as forwards!

More to the point, we can't fix the loop down on cobbles. :)

So, I think we are going to have to ask for it to be moved - just a few yards - onto where the tarmac starts again!

As I said, BPCC entries having not been particularly wanted by the 2014 organisers, it was 2012 since we last went so I could be wrong.

User avatar
dralphs
Site Admin
Site Admin
Posts: 553
Joined: Fri Nov 14, 2014 11:50 pm
Location: Oxford
Team: Falcon Notnray
Contact:

Re: Ringwood 2016 equipment hire

Post by dralphs » Mon Nov 02, 2015 3:01 pm

If this link works

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@50.84686 ... 56!6m1!1e1

Its not tarmac but also not cobbles, looks to be some form of block pavoirs but there is a manhole
Dave
Falcon Notnray Racing
www.yarntonscouts.org.uk

User avatar
Mark Williams
Site Admin
Site Admin
Posts: 201
Joined: Tue Aug 26, 2014 6:58 pm
Location: East Yorkshire

Re: Ringwood 2016 equipment hire

Post by Mark Williams » Mon Nov 02, 2015 5:41 pm

To be honest I think we should be stipulating that the Matt has to be on a straight and not where turning takes place. That's how we do it. That's how we should always do it.
Mark
BFPCR Treasurer
East Yorkshire

Jes@GCRE
Pedalcar racer
Pedalcar racer
Posts: 522
Joined: Sat Nov 15, 2014 11:34 pm

Re: Ringwood 2016 equipment hire

Post by Jes@GCRE » Mon Nov 16, 2015 10:47 am

In Steph's absence yesterday I am afraid we did not discuss this.

User avatar
AlanGoodman
Site Admin
Site Admin
Posts: 426
Joined: Thu Nov 06, 2014 9:13 am
Location: Hemel Hempstead
Team: Apollo Racing
Contact:

Re: Ringwood 2016 equipment hire

Post by AlanGoodman » Mon Nov 16, 2015 10:45 pm

Yep! We need to sort this out here ASAP I think...

Jes@GCRE
Pedalcar racer
Pedalcar racer
Posts: 522
Joined: Sat Nov 15, 2014 11:34 pm

Re: Ringwood 2016 equipment hire

Post by Jes@GCRE » Tue Nov 17, 2015 9:47 am

My view is that at the criteria is:

Ringwood pay the cost of 72 new tags but those tags are owned by BFPCR (Ringwood are, of course, welcome to charge for Tag Hire) and also for Phil + 1 to travel down and run it.

We actually get some proper publicity out of it on a big scale. Because we all know that Ringwood isn't the only race in the country but how on earth do we convince people of that fact? Personally my take is that building a car is a massive effort for just once a year but that message must be pushed more and this is a big chance to do it.

And for us, the criteria is that there is a +1 who's only job that day is making sure the loop is set up properly, the tags are on the cars properly and Phil isn't simply dumped with it.

The plus sides of all this for Ringwood is:

If the race is split into 2, surely the scores from the 1st "heat" can be left on screen so that everyone can see the cars in the 2nd "heat" catching them up and the winner will be known.

The commentator, for the 1st time ever, may have the 1st clue as to what is going on. :o)

User avatar
AlanGoodman
Site Admin
Site Admin
Posts: 426
Joined: Thu Nov 06, 2014 9:13 am
Location: Hemel Hempstead
Team: Apollo Racing
Contact:

Re: Ringwood 2016 equipment hire

Post by AlanGoodman » Tue Nov 17, 2015 1:28 pm

Sounds good to me...

Post Reply