Due to lack of use the forum is now read only. Please post questions etc in our facebook group at https://www.facebook.com/groups/128453854681/

Shenington and Elephants in rooms...

BFPCR committee members only
All committee business in here. Please move topics found in other areas if needed to here for committee to discuss
AlanGoodman
Site Admin
Site Admin
Team: Apollo Racing

Shenington and Elephants in rooms...

Post by AlanGoodman » Mon Jun 26, 2017 10:28 am

Firstly thanks for a wonderful weekend as always at Shenington.
36 entries was fantastic and was largely down to the efforts of Jes in promoting the event, not only in the run-up this year but over the years that he has built it into it's current form.

So, on to the large grey trunked mammal...

How the f*** are we going to do it next year?? (and we probably need to start planning for it sometime around last week...)

dralphs
Site Admin
Site Admin
Team: Falcon Notnray

Re: Shenington and Elephants in rooms...

Post by dralphs » Mon Jun 26, 2017 12:33 pm

Hear Hear!

I have no idea but we do need an answer asap, its not something we can leave until the AGM . To me this race is the most important of the season for many reasons, not least, the amount of new teams it attracts which occasionally become full season entries.

If needed I would probably be ok to take it on if Rose agrees, but we'd need to find someone else willing to take Blackbushe on instead (we could probably still help with catering). I wonder if Royce would be willing to do it as a team - i know Steph wouldn't on her own.
Dave
Falcon Notnray Racing
www.yarntonscouts.org.uk

Jes@GCRE
Pedalcar racer
Pedalcar racer

Post by Jes@GCRE » Mon Jun 26, 2017 2:35 pm

I will write something on this subject later depending on how tired I feel when I get home from work.

Long and short is: I would dearly love to turn up on the Friday night, set up our pits, do the race, then go home but at present I see no plan as to how that can happen despite this having been known since November 2015 giving 2 years for a "shadow" to have followed how it all somehow comes out of my "tiny house on a crappy estate" as a good friend once put it.

It's promotion, promotion, promotion and it has to happen all year at least once a week.

Jes

Jes@GCRE
Pedalcar racer
Pedalcar racer

Post by Jes@GCRE » Tue Jul 04, 2017 11:23 am

Please can we have the results up?

I would like to link to them from the page and also put together a Finishing Order Gallery.

Thanks,

Jes

dralphs
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by dralphs » Thu Jul 06, 2017 12:13 pm

Jes@GCRE wrote:
Tue Jul 04, 2017 11:23 am
Please can we have the results up?

I would like to link to them from the page and also put together a Finishing Order Gallery.

Thanks,

Jes
14 day rule....................

well thats my excuse :D

TBH i've been busy rebuilding car 14 for new milton, then out assessing for dofe so haven't really had time (and i forgot). Will have a look tonight
Dave
Falcon Notnray Racing
www.yarntonscouts.org.uk

dralphs
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by dralphs » Fri Jul 07, 2017 11:40 pm

Dave
Falcon Notnray Racing
www.yarntonscouts.org.uk

Jes@GCRE
Pedalcar racer
Pedalcar racer

Post by Jes@GCRE » Wed Jul 12, 2017 10:44 am

Awesome, thanks Dave

Jes@GCRE
Pedalcar racer
Pedalcar racer

Post by Jes@GCRE » Tue Aug 15, 2017 10:54 am

I assume this is progressing as per discussions in June so, as requested, here is my list:

October:
1 - Receive final date from Shenington.
2 - Set up facebook page (rename with this year's date).
3 - 1st mass email-out to all teams.
4 - E-mail to teams who did not enter last year but had done so previously.

November:
1 - Date confirmed by AGM. Confirm BFPCR providing: lap counting, insurance and race control.
2 - Book cafe
3 - Book 1st aid
4 - Source electrical supplier (Alistair up until now, you may need/choose to find a different one).
5 - Mail out entry forms to teams
6 - Web searches & e-mails to attract new teams: local scouts, local cycling clubs, any leads gathered from previous season.

December:
1 - Begin, if not done so already, weekly updates on fb page. 6 months to do / 6 months gone is a good handle to start with. Christmas message, New Year message, midwinters day message. Just keep people thinking about it.

January & February:
1 - Continue weekly updates. Share to all relevent sites on fb.
2 - Chase any responses from previous mail-hit in November.
3 - Second round of web search and mail-outs
4 - Start trying to match teams with cars if needed.

March:
1 - Second e-mail of entry forms. Start count-down to close of entries.

April:
1 - Increase weekly updates to twice weekly.
2 - Third e-mail of entry forms at 2 weeks to go - last chance for postal entries.
3 - Update entry list on line, give each team a shout out as they enter if possible.
4 - Finalise teams hiring cars from other teams if possible.
5 - Keep sharing on BHPC, Ringwood, BPCC fb groups.

May
1 - Entries finished. Publish entry list. Determine track length.
2 - Double check everyone still on board (BFPCR, 1st aid, cafe, LX).
3 - Plug cafe menu.
4 - Publish race information, extra information for scout teams, start dealing with dumb questions (mostly from scout leaders)

June
1 - Prepare and send out hard copy site info, class stickers etc. Deadline for this is 2 weeks before the event.
2 - Source or arrange for extra tentage and hardware as required.
3 - Allocate pit boxes.
4 - Deal with continual questions from teams who all think they are a special case compared to everyone else...
5 - Prepare signage for venue. A little effort to make it look a bit more professional.
6 - Manage get-in on race weekend.
7 - Hand over race to The BFPCR ideally at 6pm on the Friday.
8 - Manage get-out on race weekend

The Big Important Thing:

Only about 25% of this is organisation. The rest is publicity. You just have to chip away at it all the time.
And there is no point in starting it a few weeks before the event. It has to be done all year round but the key time is November - February.
If this isn't done then I fear we will be right back to 14 cars within a few years.

So I suggest a lot of thought needs to be put in to who you get to do this because it really is the second most important thing after acquiring insurance and a race controller and it is up to every organiser to publicise their event as if it's the best one in the world. Take Ringwood as an example, they really plug it - almost to the extent of denying there are any other races - but it really works.

What it really needs I guess is for someone to get all over the rest of social media now that facebook is now mostly for middle aged people like me to post pictures of their cats and holidays on.

I trust this is helpful. If I think of anything else I will add it in!

AlanGoodman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by AlanGoodman » Thu Aug 17, 2017 1:05 pm

What we urgently need is an organiser for Shenington 2018...

AlanGoodman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by AlanGoodman » Mon Sep 11, 2017 10:07 am

Just bumping this and pointing out that progress has so far been erm... limited.

The Facebook post which has been pinned to the top of the group for several weeks asking for help received only one response, with Rob Fulford offering to look after promotion/publicity.
I have made him an admin on the FB group but beyond that we are no further forward.
We still have no organiser for Shenington 2018 as far as I'm aware.